“Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” Joshua 1:8.
When people stop learning, they stop living life fully. Learning allows us to be constantly stimulated which also helps us to keep the brain active. This in turn keeps our brains healthy as it prevents the onset of harmful diseases.
For the above-mentioned to occur, it is important to ensure that our children love learning. In doing this we are preparing them for life and developing skills that will allow them to successfully face the situations and difficulties that life will throw at them. They are also growing and maturing with extensive knowledge that will properly prepare them to confront present and future challenges and, in addition, they will learn to respond appropriately to the demands of today’s society.
On the other hand, the Bible says that when we teach children the Word when they are old, they will not depart from it. Today I want to share some ideas to ensure that your children love learning:
- Develop a habit of reading. Read to your children from their early years, especially Bible stories so they will learn to love the Bible and reading which awakens in them a love for learning.
- After reading ask them what they understood. This will teach them to think about what they heard and read, and this will ignite in them a desire to learn more.
- Teach them to connect the reading to their environment. For example, if they are reading the book of Genesis, show them the trees, the colors of nature, the shapes, the sun, the stars.
- Ask them questions about happiness, peace, or things they care about. Questions arouse curiosity and a longing to know the answers.
- Read to them about Jesus. Then ask questions like why did He love us so much? How do you see God? Do you believe in God’s power? Etc.
- Monitor the time your children watch television or play on their electronic devices. Keep it to a minimum as these activities hinder their development and desire to learn because they are designed to keep them from thinking and create addiction, as well as lead to anxiety.
These little ideas will help to arouse in your children a love for learning, and the quoted text will become a reality within them.
May God bless you in all that you do.
Doctor Miguel and Irene Garita
Family Care Ministry
Church of the Nazarene, Mesoamerica Region
Download this document here: 6 Tips to ensure that your children love learning